After a long long long time, I decided to get back into some actual website experimentation. For a while, I was really lazy with my site design and settled on using the Atahualpa theme. This was a great be-lazy theme, but I noticed that while browsing other sites, it often became too obvious which sites were made using the theme and me, always wanting “my own thing” decided that it was time to get my hands at least a little bit dirty again.
My initial excitement about the Google Font Directory is a little bit diminished right now.
Google just launched the Google Font Directory (beta, of course) and the Google Font API which provides web-designers with an easy way to extend the font options that tend to limit many websites. Using the service is pretty simple: go to the font directory, find the font you want to use, and follow the simple instructions under the “Get the code” tab.
The font list seems a bit limited at the moment, but to experiment with the feature, I’ve changed all of the post headings at this site to be displayed in IM Fell English SC and the body text to Molengo. It would be great to see fonts like Gentium and Linux Libertine on there too.
And, they didn’t do such a great job of transferring the Google Page Creator content to Google Sites. So, I’ve decided to delete the content from Google Page Creator and transfer it here instead. This site has so much random content already; four more random articles shouldn’t make too much of a difference.
Read on to find:
I was looking through my posts the other day and I just realized that somehow, my Gallery2 installation totally disappeared. What that means, unfortunately, is that there are a whole bunch of old posts (like my 2007 India Vacation posts) which have a whole bunch of broken links.
Browsing through my file manager, I found that all the albums were still there, but the way that Gallery2 dealt out photos hid their actual album location and gave some sort of “fake” link. I tried to reinstall Gallery2, but in the process got a whole bunch of errors, so I thought I would explore the Gallery3.
So, now, all of the photos have been migrated over to Gallery3 (which I think I already like a bit more than Gallery2), and when I have some time to do some boring link-fixing, I guess I will get around to fixing my broken links. In the meantime, if you find any references to photos which show a broken photo placeholder, you can head over to photos.mrdwab.com and see if you can find them there.
This time, it is a website to highlight student life and student work at the Tata-Dhan Academy. What can I say? When the students don’t try to test my skills at detecting plagiarism, I actually enjoy a lot of the work and activities that go on at work….
Originally, this was going to be something intgrated with the regular DHAN Foundation website, but the students and I decided we needed something that we could update more frequently and more quickly, so we decided to go with my favorite—Wordpress.
So, head on over to the website and check it out!
As I mentioned in my earlier post about the DAMN It! website, one of the reasons I did it was to experiment with some layout stuff. This then translated into me exploring WordPress Themes, using the Sandbox theme as my foundation.
There is still a bit of tweaking that needs to be done before I redirect the home domain to the new folder, but you can check out the new site while I start transfering the information and fiddling with the theme’s files….